Here is some of what’s up this coming week:
Wednesday, May 20th: Still a couple of spaces left in this paint-along workshop I am doing in collaboration with my local art store and studio space, A Work of Heart. The workshop is on a donation basis and on a sliding scale. We’ll paint the gorgeous California Poppies that are in bloom everywhere right now.
You can draw from the references provided or even trace from a line drawing I provide and then paint along. Check class details and sign up here, Andrea can also help you customize a kit of supplies if you need them and we can paint together on May 20th.
The Sketching Play/Lab series continues this week with three sessions based on a new theme, Free Your Line. We are all booked for the coming week, but if you’d like to attend a future session, get on our mailing list by emailing us at SPlayLab@gmail.com.
If you’re wondering what this Play/Lab stuff is about, you can watch this recording of our InstaLive session where we discuss our art practice, look back at our work and how it has changed and then paint together using the sort of prompts and techniques we use in our sessions.
Other Workshops, books and stuff…
• If you’re looking for an online watercolor workshop that you can drop into on weeks that it works for you, I suggest Uma Kelkar’s Juicy Watercolors. Don’t know Uma’s work? Juicy it certainly is, check it out here, a workshop or two this month will help you get warmed up for the 30×30 Direct Watercolor Challenge she and Marc Holmes will host next month.
• I’m enjoying the weekly sessions of UskTalks, they are fantastic motivators and though provokers. Listen to them all here.
• Do you have art blogs, books or movies you love?
– I’ve heard so much about this gouache painting book by Nathan Fowkes, I ordered it.
– I’m reading this book by Diane Ackerman. It’s not an art book, but many of the concepts and ideas apply. Besides, she writes beautifully.